Social prescribing is about adopting a community development approach:
• Seeing the community as part of the solution and not the problem.
• Power shifting to the community to do something for itself.
• Engaging with the community in order to empower them.
• Citizen power rather than tokenistic or consultative engagement.
Arnstein, Ladder of Citizen Participation (1969).
5 tips to developing a community centred social prescribing service
• Identify the problem you are going to use social prescribing to solve
• Find out the real influencers in the community. This could be individually who do not usually get involved
• Go out to the community to earn some credibility and build trust
• Co-produce solutions with the community
• Empower the community to deliver the solutions
Save the date: 8th July 2019 is a day to celebrate social prescribing link workers nationally.
Are you a social prescribing link worker or a social prescribing organisation? Join the only professional membership network of link workers and their employers to realise your FULL potential.
Questions, enquiries and comments are welcome, please email firstname.lastname@example.org